Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Silent Thoughts--By Linda Hurdwell--England

Silent Thoughts

Death becomes you not I fear
A shade of green to soothe the soul
Lest death brings on that anguished tear
And drowns the flowers in the bowl.

Silent mourning all the day
A strand of heavy gasping breath
Our lives uphold the cloak of grey
Clutching at a life of wealth

Footsteps plant upon my brain
Forcing out a gaping hole
Inserting smells where you had lain
Laughing at the gruesome goal

Death becomes you not I fear
A heartbeat of such life away
I touch your face and feel you near
Until the very end of day.

Linda Hurdwell has been a widow for 5 years.  She has two adult sons. Living in the English countryside, she takes her dog, Bessie, for a daily walks and that's where many of her poems and stories are born.  She has always loved writing and has a few short stories published.  Although now a pensioner,  she enjoys working with adults with learning disabilities and running a mencap social club once a week.  Her hobbies are writing, tap dancing, and going to the theatre or cinema with my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lin -

    Now that I've stopped swaying to your lovely sad words of true poetry, I must say how thankful I am you found them in your spirit to write. How well you describe the loss of your husband. That aroma you refer to only the closest one understands. It is a devastating circumstance with lifelong ripples and tall waves I fear. I always thank God for the respites of joy. Neil died in 2005. Did you tell me once you are Yvonne's sister? How is she doing? I will e-mail her right now.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emotional reading - bringing me wanting to read you again. Your words placement is valuable as your pen pulls it all together. Really gentle poetry for a sad subject...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete