Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Old Love Rust Not--By Jan Oskar Hansen--Portugal

Old Love Rust Not

I walked across the bridge that spanned
over a white running river; and she was
there on the other side waiting for me.
One day she wasn’t there, she had gone
to Denmark to work as a nurse, but she
had not told me and had not left a letter
telling me why she had gone away.
I remember asking her, or was I begging?
Do you love me? Yes, I love you forever,
she had said, and kissed me tenderly.
And now that I’m old I see that she said
this to soothe my fear of not being loved.
Another spring and forty years has gone
the river is the same, so is my love for her.

Jan Oskar Hansen is a published poet from Portugal.

5 comments:

  1. ever faithful. You might have taken a plunge had she not lied to you with her kindness.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heart opens with an over flowing voice of love. Memories are there for you - in spite of the disappointment, your love remains. Beautiful!

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan,

    A warm reminiscent poem of love shared. A lovely write I enjoyed reading today thank you for sharing it with us.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, it is hard when someone you love leaves your life. My husband died many years ago, but I still feel his love. I like the way you described the nurse not telling her lover she was leaving because she didn't want him to feel "unloved." I think there are times when we all feel unloved, but the memories of happiness linger on... Best wishes, Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and touching poem, Jan! Reminds me of the love my grandparents shared. My grandfather passed on some years ago, but I can still see the love in my grandmother's eyes for him. My father passed away last year and I still see the love in my mother's eyes for him.

    ReplyDelete