Friday, September 6, 2013

Opportunity Missed--By Kathryn Collins--United States

Opportunity Missed

I neglected you.
My work-shy nature
left fallow
the raw page.

I heeded not unforeseen
whimsy of words,
the nitty-gritty of my
most solemn soul.

Sooner could have been
my release from bondage,
the levee-collapsing revelation:
a poem.

Born in 1945, Kathryn Collins is a native New Yorker now living in Connecticut whose works have been described as “a gentle sort of poetry” by the editor of her first book No Need for Breadcrumbs, published by BeWrite Books, 2004. Her work has also appeared in numerous anthologies. Inspired by her beloved grandmother, she developed a great love of poetry at an early age and has been writing for 20 years.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn, this is exactly what brought me back to poetry. I had so much emotion pent up inside after my father died that I had to allow that "levee" to collapse and the emotions to flow through my words. Most poets will relate to this excellent poem! Well done, Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following comment--

    Kathryn: lovely poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, keep it up. I like the style you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me poetry released so much held within. I am so grateful to be able to pen my expression, to read others and understand their emotion. God has blessed us, given us a special talent. He is selective and knows just who He should give this talent to. Well written...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Dave Austin, for the following comment--

    I'll take a minute though to express my enjoyment of Kathy Collins' Opportunity Missed. It spoke to my condition and gave solace. Love, Dave Austin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Great poem. I feel this way every time I see a poem I haven't finished! Isn't it just frustrating?
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Kathy... your 'revelations' are always such inspirations... which I hope spill over me... Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kathy,

    Great poem, good reminder to keep writing and not lose hope. Enjoyed your poem today.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kathy,

    Thank you for all the lovely comments you left for other writers today. What a bright light you are in the writing community. Your poem is so creative and forwards your message with rich imagery. It's so good to have you a part of Whispers.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Eleanor Michael, for the following comment--

    A poem any poet can relate to.
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete