Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I Dream--By Robert L. Hinshaw--United States

I Dream

When on the lonely midnight watch and gazing out to sea,
Thoughts of you waft through my mind, gossamer like, floating free.
And though we are oceans apart and urgent duties beckon me,
I can simply close my eyes and pleasantly dream of thee.

We've been at sea seven months visiting mysterious ports of call.
We've had our rigging rent by many a ferocious squall.
Though our Man O' War may be tossed about by billowing foam,
I am ever comforted when I close my eyes and dream of home.

We've borne the brutal battle midst furious shot and shell.
The terrible stench and gore of war I know all too well.
My earnest prayer is that I survive never more to roam,
And hold you in my arms to fulfill that dream of coming home!

Robert L. Hinshaw served 30 years in the Air Force retiring in 1978 in the grade of Chief Master Sergeant. He began writing poetry in 2002 at age 72 and has composed over 1100 poems.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Robert! I adore reading your poetry and this one makes me sad at how the heart must be gnawing in the lonely memory of home, for those who are in the service. A huge price to pay and yet when balanced with service to homeland and country, there can be no real comparison, one to the other, and yet, as they say, it all comes out in the wash, so to speak. I honor you and those who have made the choice to service country and for those of us at home words aren't enough to express the appreciation. You must have built up so many memories in your years spent in the service, to me, you are a hero. God bless, Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bob,
    My brother was in the Navy during the Vietnam war and he told us of how he dreamed of getting home when he was thousands of miles away. Your beautifully written poem reminds us that no matter how far away we are, we always carry the love of our family and friends in our hearts. Thank you for your service to our country, Bob. Those who have served deserve our admiration and gratitude. God bless you, my friend.
    Love to you and Vera,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following comment--

    very emotive write here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem, Robert. Very heartfelt. Thank you for sharing it with us. Continued blessings!

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete