Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Ghazal of Ghalib--Translation by Sunil Uniyal--India

A Ghazal of Ghalib (Translation by Sunil Uniyal)

Come, Beloved, no peace I'm having
I can't endure anymore this waiting

The gift of heaven in lieu of this life
Is a hangover after all drinking

Tears force me out of your party
I regret, I can't control my weeping

If the heart's without joy, there's no meaning
If the rose doesn't bloom, there's no spring

Ghalib, you've taken an oath against drinking
But nobody is sure that you'll be keeping !

Sunil Uniyal ( born 1953-) is a poet and translator based in New Delhi, India. He has been writing haiku and poems for over thirty years and many of these have appeared in e-journals like Muse India, Kritya, AHA Poetry, Poetica Magazine, Sketch Book, Notes From the Gean, A Hundred Gourds and Haiku Dreaming Australia. His work in translation includes, The Target is Behind the Sky -Fifty Poems of Kabir, brought out by the Low Price Publications, Delhi in February 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Sunil. I love this because it seems to be sort of satirical and cynically humorous defining the failures of humanity. That we aren't perfect here on earth and that we are all so very different and from different countries, and yet how exact are we all! This is my interpretation of your poem, Sunil, and I love your sense of humor and your talent and depth. It is always wonderful to read you here at Whispers. Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem, Sunil. A pleasure to read and enjoy. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sunil,

    To me this poem sounds like a loved one who is struggling with someone they care for who has a drinking problem and how sad it makes them feel to see it continue. A well written expression in this ghazal thank you for sharing it with us.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete