Friday, August 22, 2014

Special Feature Youth Writer--Dayva Ann Learned--United States

Stinger

Soaring through the sky
Wings fluttering majestically
Get on my wrong side I'll be your worst nightmare
Inside of me lives a bee

Don't judge a book by its cover
Though a bee is glorious to look at
With alternating stripes of yellow and black
Being the size of your fingernail
A bee could leave you crying in a second
Small but powerful I have the ability to sting

Leave me alone, I leave you alone
Get on my bad side, feel the sting
At moments the bee inside me is calling
Begging me to let it out

I am a fun loving creature
I can get as happy as a child on Christmas morning
Although inside me lives a feisty little beast
With a horrid temper
You don't want to meet it
It is only released at the most wicked times

I am proud and playful
I am tough fierce and persistent
I am determined and clever
Deep inside me lives a bee

Dayva Ann Learned received second place for Stinger in the 2013 Florida State Poets Association Student Poetry Contest. She is twelve years old and lives in Ormond Beach, Florida with her parents and two brothers.  Dayva enjoys writing poetry and short stories as well as painting and drawing. In addition, she is a fierce bumble bee on the soccer field.


Editor's note--Dayva is our first youth writer.  In order for writing to live on , it is important that we have talented young people to share in the journey.  This is a special honor for me to be able to publish her words.  Best wishes, Dayva, with all your writing endeavors!

17 comments:

  1. Welcome Dayna:
    Great use of metaphor here and free verse style.
    Looking forward to more of your poems
    SuZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Beth Winchcombe, for the following--

    Dear Dayva,

    Poetry, short stories, painting and drawing at just twelve years of age. It would seem all things creative go together with you. Good luck in the future with all your talents.

    Beth Winchcombe - ENGLAND.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linda Hurdwell, for the following--

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dayva,

    Welcome to Whispers! It is so good to see you already have three comments on your wonderful poem. Congratulations! Wishing you ongoing success with your writing. If you have any questions, please let me know.

    Sincerely,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great well-written poem, Dayva! Welcome to Whispers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly delightful - enjoy the bee that lives within you - I'm sure you are fierce on the soccer field as well - I like the idea that you are small but can pack a punch if pushed incorrectly - nice wording - you deserved the win in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Dayva, What a creative and witty write! You must have inherited your father's upbeat perspective on life. Take the stinger out of that bee and she'd "bee" welcome in my home. Congratulations on your win in the state contest. I'm so glad to see you participating here. Welcome to Whispers!

    Best wishes,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayva,
    You write exceptionally well. It's no wonder you placed second in your student contest! (By the way if I were judging the contest you would have probably have placed first!) Welcome to Whispers and I am looking forward to more of your poetry!
    Yours truly,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so good to see young people being active in sport and literature/arts. At 12 I had already written my first poems, but nowhere as good as yours. Well done and keep that pen going. Best wishes.......paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I better watch out. I think you have so much talent. and I'd like to welcome you to our site. Keep writing. your great best wishes. Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Dayva! How fun to read the words which sweetly define who you are and express a wonderful, positive and inspiring look at life! Your poem, as read by my own family, is delightful and impressive! I am thrilled you paint and draw, too, because this all feeds off the depths of you! As you grow keep active and enthralled with the beauty of life as you are well on the road to great successes! A pure joy to read you here in this Whispers venue! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Arthur Ford, for the following--

    Good poem by Dayva, well crafted with the use of the synecdoche(she as the part possessing what we all (the whole) can!!!!

    what a catapult for her!!!!!

    arthur c. ford,sr.,poet/editor
    www.thepoetbandcompany.yolasite.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following--

    awesome write indeed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dayva. Welcome to Whispers and congratulations on being the first youth writer here. As your poem clearly indicates, you are quite the talented person. I want to wish you continued success in all your writing endeavors. I really enjoyed your poem.

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Jean Calkins, for the following--

    How wonderful! A superb poem for an adult, let along a 12-year old. Please let her know I think she has a bright future in poetry, probably putting us all to shame!

    Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dayva you are quite a talented young lady and I so much enjoyed your brilliant poem that shows what a "go getter" you are. Welcome as the first youth poet on Whispers. I am looking forward to reading more of our wonderful poetry.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Dayva,

    What wonderful poem you have written here. You are very talented young lady with a lot of tenacity like another lady I know. Congratulations on your win in the Florida State Poetry Contest and keep up the great writing!

    All the best to you for continued success,
    Sandra Stefanowich

    ReplyDelete