Friday, May 29, 2015

The River--By Patricia Ann Farnsworth-Simpson--Canary Islands

The River

From the mountains high does a river flow
And as it flows so it does grow
Often flowing and trickling at a gently pace
Sometimes rapidly rushing as if in a race

But always lovely and exciting to see
As it makes its way through lovely country
Towns and villagers along its pathway
With the Sun setting on it at the end of the day

The river does attract much wildlife too
Both in its waters deep and in the sky so blue
Such as Kingfishers when they hover in a loop
Till they see a fish then down they swoop

Water voles, beavers and otters that play
Are a delight to see as you pass on your way
Gently cruising along keeping afloat
Be it in a Kayak, yacht or a longboat

Yes! Being on a river is wonderful when its serene
Like it always is whenever I have been
With my son cruising on his longboat in France
His home that I visit whenever I get the chance

Patricia Ann Farnsworth-Simpson is a coal miner’s daughter, the only girl among 6 lads.
A young mother to a son, she became a widow before she turned 18.  Patricia, then, married her childhood sweetheart who fathered her lovely son and two wonderful daughters.  Her children encouraged her to pursue her own talents.  After 51 years of marriage, she became a widow again recently.  She fills her time with poetry, helping others whenever she can.

4 comments:

  1. I like how your poem gives one a sense of being on the water and it sounds like such a wonderful time! A joy to read you here on Whispers..... Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is so serene and tranquil, I really enjoy feeling what I felt from reading your poem. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A journal-poem, (if I my call it that) that meanders down the river-page! Enjoyed the view Pat. Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a certain amount of inspiration taken from my poem "Pollution" here Pat but it took an enjoyable divergence as it got onto canals etc !

    I love this one!

    Write On

    George

    ReplyDelete