Friday, September 11, 2015

before jet planes--By Lois Greene Stone--United States

before jet planes

Tomatoes grew upwards
against the backyard’s
brick; my Victory Garden
plants were all under the
soil. Mom watered them.
She taught girlhood fingers
sewing, knitting, embroidery.
Duets were played on the
Baby Grand piano. She
taught me to cook, iron.
We danced in the living
room after dinner. Art
and writing were part
of me; she encouraged
both. Tulips grew
when ration books
became history. I
flourished... because
of my mom’s
attention.

Lois Greene Stone, writer and poet, has been syndicated worldwide. Poetry and personal essays have been included in hard & soft cover book anthologies. Collections of her personal items/ photos/ memorabilia are in major museums including twelve different divisions of The Smithsonian.

3 comments:

  1. I could envision this, even to the point of seeing a church steeple withing sight of the homes that housed the victory gardens... A simple time, a better time coming...

    ReplyDelete