Sunday, January 31, 2016

If I were a river--By April Mae M. Berza--Philippines

If I were a river

If I were a river, I will choose
you as my destination, to flow
like the tears of the cherubs
one summer to quench the thirst
of the vineyards.

I could hear the orchestra,
your violin laughter and your piano
smile blending harmoniously
with my heartbeat that I tried
to tie my foot to the hills
like the marriage of smell
and touch.

The pain in my chest to find
you in the arms of the sea is
a stabbing, I succumb that I feel
the sorrow travelling in my veins,
I am alone in this journey,
alone in this journey.

April Mae M. Berza is the author of Confession ng isang Bob Ong Fan (Flipside, 2014) and Berso de Berza (Charging Ram, 2012.) She is the editor of Metaphor magazine. Her poems and short stories appeared in numerous publications in the US, Canada, Romania, India, Japan, UK and the Philippines. Her poems are translated in Crimean Tatar and Filipino. Some of her poems are published in Ani, Belleville Park Pages, Liwayway, The Siren, Poetica, Calliope, Maganda, Remembering Rizal: Voices from the Diaspora, Letters to My Bully, Kalyani, Metric Conversions, The Manila Times, Contemporary Verse 2, and elsewhere. Her poem "E-Martial Law" was broadcast on IndoPacific Radio on KPFA 94.1FM/kpfa.org. She is a member of Poetic Genius Society. She lives in Taguig, Philippines.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely poem ,April Mae,the last 2 lines are the most beautiful
    peace and blessings,angelee

    ReplyDelete
  2. April,
    The imagery in this poem is amazing. You may feel alone on this journey, but after reading this I feel I am right by your side.
    ~Davidf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you April for this fine poem. I especially like, "I could hear . . . your violin laughter."

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving and beautiful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete