Friday, November 11, 2016

October Trip to Town--By Eleanor Michael--United States

October Trip to Town

The first few flakes of snow
float down as we wash and fold
our white summer clothes.

Later, we sigh as we pass by
store shelves laden with candy corn.
That’s another “no-no” now.

We pause where pumpkins
are lined up outside the EXIT door.
We remember those we used grow.

The older gentlemen, in his white shirt
and black slacks – he’s a bag boy now –
pats my shoulder, says, “I know, I know.”

Eleanor Michael has published poetry and short stories in a variety of venues.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Eleanor,
    You add something special to a simple trip to town.
    Like the way your "snowflakes float down."
    Thank you,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have shown us a sadness at the passing of the yearly seasons and of life's seasons. Good poem. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Eleanor, wonderful understatement to let the uber feeling wrap this whole poem, I could be the older gentleman....and by the way, he forgot to finish his sentence: "I know you're a poet"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eleanor, your poem moved me to tears with the knowing. This is so beautiful, the way you capture the heart with your words. I hope to read more of your wonderful poetry. Aloha, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Michael, Barbara, Peggy, Rick, and Connie for your kind words on Eleanor's heartfelt and insightful poem. I will be sending your thoughts to her. Congratulations, Eleanor. I wish you ongoing success with your writing.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete