Friday, December 16, 2016

Compassion--By Christine Tate--United States

Compassion

Confined to wheelchairs frail and weak,
they seldom laugh and rarely speak...
eyes now dim that sparkled bright,
minds confused not thinking right.
some forgotten by family and friends,
lonely hours most of them spend.
I didn't know until it touched me
when mom was placed in a facility.

I observed many patients there,
many depressed and didn't care.
The ones who seemed to be happy,
were visited by loved ones regularly.
mom's eyes lit up when I'd appear,
a familiar face to bring good cheer...

I read her scriptures, shared stories,
and recalled many fond memories...
anywhere there is a need,
we can perform a godly deed.
a little compassion goes a long way,
so practice spreading some each day!

Christine Tate has been writing since 1994. She's the mother of 3 sons and has 8 grandchildren. She was widowed in 2007 and met her husband Artie, a widower with 6 children & 12 grandchildren, in a nursing facility where their mothers resided. They've been happily married 4 1/2 years. They describe their meeting as "God's divine appt." because of their faith, and the fact that they swore they'd never marry again.

2 comments:

  1. Well written, as I have seen the sadness in those places as well. A little kindness goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christine,
    This poem resonates with me as it brings memories of my mentor whose mind deteriorated slowly--tough to watch--poems such as yours are surely needed.
    Thank you.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete