Friday, March 17, 2017

Finding Spring--By Linda Hurdwell--England

Finding Spring

Nodding heads and waving arms
Cheerful and exquisite charms
Yellow, resembling gold
Imagination does unfold.

A yellow crowd looks to smile
As I stop and stare for a while
Fish will swim and the birds will fly
Sometimes there's blue in the sky

My heart sings with certain joy
Bright heads turn a little coy
Bringing optimism around
Winter goes and Spring is found.

Gold covers the grassy hills
A gang of careless daffodils.

Linda Hurdwell has been a widow for 5 years. She has two adult sons. Living in the English countryside, she takes her dog, Bessie, for a daily walks and that's where many of her poems and stories are born.  She has always loved writing and has a few short stories published. Although now a pensioner, she enjoys working with adults with learning disabilities and running a mencap social club once a week. Her hobbies are writing, tap dancing, and going to the theatre or cinema with my friends.

5 comments:

  1. What a word painting as If I was looking at a picture,
    framed in beauty Last two lines outstanding.
    Great writing
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Linda,
    Nicely done with just-the-right fit rhyming couplets that present spring's landscape.
    Thank you!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda
    You have captured the beauty and unrulyness of daffodils so well, it has made me smile. Thank you for sharing such a lovely picture of spring.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I looked just outside my low brick wall, next to my porch yesterday morning, I saw once again the new beginnings of my yearly tulips. I thought, I wonder how long it will be before the deer come and chomp off the flowers this year.

      It is so easy to focus on the negative, like I did yesterday. But reflecting on the beauty of your picturesque poem. this early morning, I changed my thinking.

      I thought, "I'll just enjoy the tulips for the day or two they do last, once bloomed, because they do brighten my day, as did your poem.

      I will not myself "chomp off" the beauty of what will surely come no matter how short or long it stays; a life lesson better learned, many thanks to you.
      Charlene

      Delete