Thursday, March 23, 2017

My Birthday Gift--By Alice Couch--United States

My Birthday Gift

The buttons on my pants
pop off whenever I run.
Mom looks with dismay,
something must be done!

I use Grandpa’s suspenders
until he finds out.
I’m in trouble now,
hear Grandpa give a shout!

Grandpa yells, “I’ve lost weight,
and my jeans now fit.”
“So whoever has my suspenders,
you keep them as my gift!”

Alice Couch is a retired nurse’s aide who spends her days playing with her dogs, Nibby and Squeakie, while writing poetry for her three children, four grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, and four great great-grandchildren. One of her stories published in Living with Children. She studied yoga and Buddhism and has a gift for blending the rational approach of the Western mind with the deep spiritual wisdom of the east in her poetry. She was named Noblesville’s Senior Poet Laureate in 2012.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Alice, I like the humor on "My Birthday Gift" How true
    to life. How things work out when we are doing our best.
    It is so true in writing as well. Precious poem.
    Well written.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have not only been gifted with suspenders, Alice, but also with a lovely sense of humour! Well done for this creative and smooth flowing poem. Regards ~ paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice
    Your poem has made me laugh - what a great way to start a day
    Thank you!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Alice,
    Your poem reflects the fun that should enter our poems from time to time. Well done and thank you.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete