Friday, December 8, 2017

Archive Selection--By Caryl Calsyn--United States--Originally Publised--January 24, 2017

Not Just a Dress

Mother and I walked by the window
of a store named Jack and Jill.

Never in all my six years
had I seen a prettier dress—
white eyelet, ruffles and lace.

I didn’t ask if I could have it,
because I knew times were hard.

A few days later, to my amazement,
my mother gave me that adored dress.

For some unknown reason she could
not say she loved me or give me a hug.

But my white eyelet dress had love,
in invisible letters, written all over it.

Caryl Calsyn is a retired Interior Designer who only began writing poetry about five years ago. About three years ago she began submitting to publishers. Her first try was accepted and she now has 124 that have been published.  She is a board member for the county historical commission and the local museum.  She sings in a chorale and her church choir and loves family gatherings.

1 comment:

  1. what a moving write - actions speak louder than words, as they say!

    ReplyDelete