Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Archive Selection--By Elizabeth Howard--United States--Originally Published--November 21, 2017

The Harpist

A volunteer brought her harp to the hospice house,
choosing a seat near the room where I was keeping
solemn watch. As she plucked the strings,
my heart’s tears flowed down my face.
Peace pervaded my soul. When she left, she said,
I’ll see you next week. If not, I’ll know
he’s in a better place. I never saw her again,
but I carry with me her blessed music and good heart.
I will ever be grateful for her ineffable gift.

Elizabeth Howard lives in Arlington, Tennessee. Her work has appeared in Comstock ReviewBig MuddyAppalachian HeritageCold Mountain ReviewGreen Hills Literary Lantern, and many other journals.

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem, about being grateful from small gestures of others, especially when given in times of grief.

    Well written dear Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete